This module prepares and enables you to drive digital production through Additive Manufacturing in your organization.
STARTING DATE: Spring 2022
Additive manufacturing (AM) technology is widely acknowledged to be revolutionary. On short-term, AM will alter the manufacturing and logistics landscape and on the long-term scale, it will have a significant impact towards our common climate goals, by reducing the weight of components and providing novel near-net-shape manufacturing. Technological advances when it comes to the high-power robust energy sources, improvements in data handling and automation during last two decades, resulted in the significant advance of AM technology, transforming it from a method for rapid prototyping into the high-tech production technology for advanced high-quality components.
The aim of the module on Additive Manufacturing (AM) is to establish basic understanding regarding AM as the industrial method for prototyping and manufacture of advanced parts. The module covers basic aspects of additive manufacturing of metallic, polymer and ceramic products with respect to a variety of materials and processing technologies. The module also involves the basics of design for AM, materials selection, 3D scanning for quality assurance as well as practical exercise on design for AM.
- Describe generic attributes of additive manufacturing in relation to other manufacturing technologies.
- Describe basic principles for additive manufacturing.
- Describe the main processes for additive manufacturing and their capabilities and limitations.
- Demonstrate basic skills with respect to design for additive manufacturing.
- Describe technical limitations/product realization capabilities when applying additive manufacturing technology as a manufacturing method.
- Understanding of 3D scanning methods and file conversion process for Additive Manufacturing.
- Demonstrate good knowledge of quality-related issues associated with additive manufacturing and have a basic knowledge of metrology and characterization techniques used to measure and define the defects.
This module consists of the introductory module where main categories of AM technologies, their basic principles, possibilities and limitations are briefly described. It is followed by a practical module aiming with hands-on exercise on design for AM. Basics of quality assurance and metrology in AM are discussed in this module as well, including an overview of 3D scanning systems for Additive Manufacturing. AM module is based on a set of recorded lectures supported by additional videos and self-study materials along with recommended references, quizzes and a practical assignment.
Five themes covering:
- Introduction to Additive Manufacturing
- Additive Manufacturing Technologies- Part I
- Additive Manufacturing Technologies- Part II
- Design for Additive Manufacturing
- Quality assurance and 3D Scanning in Additive Manufacturing
Modules are based on videos, exercises, quizzes and reflections that you share with other participants as well as webinars for interesting discussions, Q&A’s and much more.
To complete this module, the participant is expected to schedule approximately 4 hours per week over 5 weeks (20 hours in total).
Spring 2022 – The module starts
TBD – 1st Webinar – “Module kick-off”
TBD – 2nd Webinar – “Discussion on additive manufacturing processes”
TBD – 3rd Webinar – “Design for additive manufacturing”
TBD – 4th Webinar – “General discussion on additive manufacturing”
After applying to the program, please secure dates in your calendar to be able to join planned webinars and assure time available required for learning.
A unique module created in co-operation between academic partners